Enter your email in the space below to receive an update every time I publish a new post!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Mindfulness

One of the many lessons that Ghana has taught me is mindfulness...

Mindfulness about using my bathing water wisely because when the bucket is empty, my shower is done (whether I still have shampoo in my hair or not).

Mindfulness about getting to know the people around me. I walk home when it's really dark now and I feel 100 times safer surrounded by familiar faces. If something were to happen to me while walking home one night, I would be dependent on them.

Mindfulness about saying "thank you" to my host family often.

Mindfulness about charging my phone, iPod, etc. when the power is on.

Mindfulness about not getting frustrated or being short with people, because I may be the only American they meet. I am representing so much more than myself here.

Mindfulness about using things until they truly can't be used any more, rather than replacing things just because I'm tired of what I have or I find something I like better.


No comments:

Post a Comment